Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Uncle Austin

Ahh, Tuesday afternoon. Time to explain a few things.

Tuesday, September 8, at 4:30 PM, my uncle Austin Greene was found dead in his Pittsburgh apartment. A friend of his (his only friend, incidentally) decided to stop by for a visit after work as a surprise. He definitely got a surprise, didn't he?

Honestly, when I heard about it last Wednesday, I wasn't too shocked. Austin was a very distant uncle, and a very eccentric one to boot. He was in his mid-thirties, could never keep a job (Though Danny fails here as well), and as far as I know, never had a single notable love interest. He never called my mom, and she never called him. I think the only time we really met was on my 12th birthday, the terrible year my birthday cake got ruined (Some kid who I thought had been my friend decided to fuck with it for some reason) and everyone had pretty much a miserable day.

Nonetheless, it still hurt. Death is seriously tragic, I tear up a bit when I read about someone dying in a news story, or something. So, while I didn't know the man well at all, he was still family, and it shook me up quite a bit.

The cause of death was quickly determined as a heart attack. Austin wasn't old, but he certainly hadn't been in the best shape. I left to see my parents on the 11th, and Danny followed on the 15th (good thing we had Diane to keep the place safe for a few days), the funeral took place on the 17th. It was pretty small, and really only had my immediate family + Danny. I heard my uncle's friend had planned to attend as well, but financial and time issues caught up with him. That kind of bugged me... Austin's only friend couldn't even make it to his funeral, while Danny and I, who were very unfamiliar with my uncle, were able to :(

But anyways, despite the situation, it was nice seeing my parents again. My mom had obviously been crying quite a bit, but at least I was there to comfort her :)

I don't want to hear about any more funerals for a very long time, ugh.

(Oh and Zeke made a comment on my blog! That is so exciting~)

3 comments:

  1. As I said, I did not know my uncle well, but this was still a tragic loss.

    R.I.P. Austin Greene.
    1973~2010

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you read my comment, but I'm really sorry for your loss...

    Pittsburgh huh...?
    I have a friend over there.

    Hey...I'm feeling a little heavy, why don't we talk a bit. IM me if you read this within the next four hours?

    ReplyDelete